ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation - Course Description
Three Day Foundation Certificate Course
This course provides participants with extended theoretical and practical knowledge of ISO/IEC 20000, the worldwide standard specifically aimed at IT Service Management. It describes an integrated set of management processes for the effective delivery of services to the business and its customers.
ISO/IEC 20000 is aligned with and complementary to the process approach defined within ITIL®. ISO/IEC 20000 provides the only formal method to prove that an organisation’s processes are “ITIL compliant”, through formal, independent audit by registered certification organisations.
ISO/IEC 20000 comprises of two distinct documents: a specification for a service management system, and a code of practice. Together, these form a top-down framework to define the features of service management processes that are essential for the delivery of high quality services. This course covers content from both parts of the standard and prepares participants for the official ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation Exam.
Objectives & Benefits
At the end of this course you will be able to understand and describe:
- the definition and principles of quality management in relation to IT service management
- the position of ISO/IEC 20000 in relation to IT service management
- the quality specifications for IT service management (ISO/IEC 20000, Part 1)
- the code of practice for IT service management (ISO/IEC 20000, Part 2)
The following benefits can be realised when an organisation aligns with the ISO/IEC 20000 standard:
- Alignment of information technology services and business strategy.
- Creation of a formal framework for current service improvement projects
- Provides a benchmark type comparison with best practices
- Creates competitive advantage via the promotion of consistent and cost-effective services.
- By requiring ownership and responsibility at all levels, it creates a progressive ethos and culture.
- Reduction of risk and thus cost in terms of external service receipt
- Enhanced reputation and perception
- Fundamental shift to pro-active rather than re-active processes
- Improved relationship between different departments via better definition and more clarity in terms of responsibility and goals.
Who Should Attend
The target audience includes both internal and external service providers, even if such an organisation is not (yet) certified or not planning to be certified. In addition, customers considering requesting their service providers to become ISO/IEC 20000 certified can get an insight into what can be expected of their service providers.
Any staff who have a role in delivering or managing IT services. The course is particularly suitable for staff who are involved in process development and improvement and may be helping their organisation improve service outcomes or prepare for ISO/IEC 20000 certification. The ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation Certificate is a prerequisite for the other qualifications within the EXIN ISO20000 qualifications.
This course is conducted as a 3-day instructor-led workshop and includes a combination of lectures and exercises. All the exercises are designed to relate the course material to 'real organisations' and will draw on the experience and knowledge of the participants. Some evening self-study is required to pass the exam.
There are no formal pre-requisites for this course. However, some previous IT service management training and/or experience is necessary for students to gain the full value of the course.
- ITIL (v2 or v3) Foundation Certificate (or higher) will assist the candidate greatly
- Work experience in IT service management is assumed
- Pre-reading the ISO/IEC 20000 standard will also assist the candidate
This course will prepare you to take and pass the ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation Certificate exam. The examination is of one-hour duration and consists of 40 multi-choice questions, taken on the last afternoon of the course.